Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Can’t Teach an Old Dog New Tricks..or Can You?

01 Dec 2010 Attending the Bill Woodul Race Mechanic Clinic

Well, at least that’s how the ‘ol saying goes, doesn’t it! But, nothing could be further from the truth in my book. The committee in my head has never looked inward at itself and given into the notion that because the physical body is aging that the brain governing the whole thing isn’t forever locked in some sort of suspended animation. From behind my eyeballs I see the world as a young buck, full of promise, adventure, and revelling in the anticipation of what tomorrow brings to the table. For my entire life I’ve always pushed the envelop. Just ask my lovely bride of 41 years. She’ll tell you, as she anxiously counts the gray hair I have caused her, how intrepid I launch myself into to everything I do. There seems to be no end to my pushing the boundaries. But that’s how I roll, and she’s resigned herself to my often self-absorbed myopic view of the world and how I interact with it. I love her for that! She lets me be me. Can’t ask anything more---- really!
Now I find myself sitting on an airplane at 39,000 feet winging my way to Colorado Springs to attend the USA Cycling Bill Woodul Race Mechanic Clinic at the US Olympic Training Center. It's hollowed ground and I'm in shock I'll be walking those grounds soon.

Why am I doing this? It’s actually quite simple. As an intellectual and emotional enterprise I have always loved learning for learning’s sake. And, I’ll have to admit that I have a seriously addictive passion for all that is cycling. Cycling has been the eternal savior for that committee in my head over the years. And, in addition to the mental health benefits cycling has given me, I’ve had the good fortune to have had the physical edge to overcome two very serious health events that would have killed me under normal circumstances---twice over. God bless the top tube addiction, a strong heart, and clear lungs.
Another major driving force in my decision to attend this one-of-a-kind-nowhere-else-in-the-world-once-in-a-lifetime clinic, is my constant need reinvention of myself. There is no better adventure than those adventures that make you stretch yourself, bring you a deeper sense of what it means to be alive, and makes you feel forever young. There are NO options in death. I prefer to have as many options as I can beg, borrow, or steal!  So, I’ll keep pushing the envelop!
My motto of “Live Free..Ride Free” prevails as the rule of the day and can be seen as a mask on my down tube on my single speed.  I  “ Ride to Live...Live to Ride.” If you know me, have ridden with me.....you understand!

Had our first class tonight at the USA Cycling venue at the Olympic Training Center.  Had dinner in the OTC Dining Hall and class from 6-9PM. Here are some pics on the day.


Our airport shuttle

Inside the Athlete Center

Across from the Athlete Registration Desk

No comments:

Post a Comment