Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's Not Over Until It's Over The Top Tube

At 6:05 PM tonight, August 17, 2010 I marked the one year anniversary of my moderate heart attack while working at the bike shop in Butte, Montana last summer. It was a life changing event on so many levels.

How did I mark the occasion tonight? I had a Coors Light with a couple of cycling buddies- two cute podium yellow jersey bears from last year's Tour of California given to my granddaughters by my good friend, periodic cycling buddy, and owner of the Outdoorsman, Rob Leipheimer. I'm Rob's shop mechanic during the summers. I come to Butte to spend time with my daughter's family, to spoil my beautiful granddaughters, and to escape the awful heat of the Mojave Desert in Las Vegas, NV where I live the other eight months of the year near my son's family. It's my good fortune that I came to Butte last summer, had my heart attack, and was emergency airlifted to be treated at the world class International Heart Institute of Montana in Missoula. Had I been in Las Vegas I'm not sure what the outcome would have been, as I have little faith in the medical community there after several experiences I know others have had.

Life across the top tube has been a literal life saver for me. I've been told this by several of my doctors as well. And, I find endless solace in spinning down uncharted road or trail, which is metaphorically just how I live life everyday. The unknown has never scared me. After two near death experiences in the last two years, death doesn't scare me. What scares me is living a life void of adventure, calculated uncertainty, or a certain amount of risk. A life lived well is a life fulfilled on the physical, emotional, and spiritual levels. I'm a doer, not a watcher. Riding bicycles, working on bicycles, the fellowship of the open road, all give me a sense of purpose in my retirement from my professional life. Just as my family does. The committee in my head is well satisfied with the outcome and so am I.

How do I feel about today's anniversary... surviving yet another near life ending experience....like a free bird!

My latest cycling video says it all for me. Take a look....life across the top tube is an adventure!

Riding the Homestake Continental Divide Trail from Rick Smith on Vimeo.


Livestrong and ride long my friends......I intend to!

No comments:

Post a Comment