Friday, August 13, 2010

Time to Gear Up and to Gear Down

It's been 360 days since my moderate life changing heart attack last August 17, 2010. The event was triggered by a couple of blood clots in my left anterior descending branch of the main coronary artery. They call this type of heart attack the "widow making" because in over 50% of the cases the victim dies. Well, I bet the odds even by Las Vegas standards, which is where I live most of the year.

Anyway, I had my anniversary medical exam today and got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist, Dr. Tod Maddux, at the International Heart Institute of Montana. He said my heart sounded strong and he took me off the three heart medications I've been taking for the last year. So, life on the road as an endurance cyclist can resume in earnest. I'm so pumped I feel I want to enter the RAAM or the Tour Divide for 2011. Just kidding, but I feel that for the last year I've had a governor on my heart and my psyche. Which I did! Dr. M gave me the freedom to ramp up the heart rate during cycling in order to get the engine back into its prime condition. What this means is that I have no restrictions if I wanted to do a RAAM or a Tour Divide. At my age, it means the freedom to seek endurance challenges across the top tube that give my life a richer deeper meaning. I'm not a racer. I never have been. But I do love to ride my bike for long periods of time without any but self-imposed restrictions.  We'll see how it goes as I gradually work my way back into my pre-heart attack form. I know my limitations and moderation speaks volumes to me. I'm just happy that my life across the top tube will continue into my golden years. I'm planning to help a friend from Texas ride from Texas to Alaska in two years, now maybe I'll just change roles and become his riding partner rather than just his mechanical support.

I live to ride another day which is so dear to my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment