Friday, February 3, 2012

And The Band Played On...And Kept On Riding North to Alaska

I recently got back my full medical report following all those lab tests, x-rays, EKGs, lower extremities venous Doppler, and nuclear cardiac stress testing done by my doctors in Montana and Nevada. The picture drawn in broad brush strokes reveals me to be in exceptional physical shape for a guy 63 years of age who almost dropped dead from a massive heart attack 836 days ago caused by blood clots. 

I'm elated, uplifted, and encouraged by the great news without a doubt. I've worked hard over the last year to get to this point. But, without the love and support of my wife and family none of what I have accomplished would have been possible. They have sacrificed, and continue to, so that I might succeed to live a life post-heart attack rich with a joyful sense of fulfillment. I am humbled. I try to make each day count for them. 

The other side of the my coin of success is my love for time across the top tube. Long live cycling for cardiovascular fitness. And, it helps that I have had a non-smoking life style coupled with the adoption of a vegan diet regime one year ago. Love it when a plan comes together. 

But what seems to please me the most is the assessment that my pulmonary functioning tests show me to have a lung age of a 20 year old.  Breathing is NOT overrated. I don't take it anymore for granted than I do the sunrise or sunset. Cycling has insured my survivability. It's what drives me to live each day with appreciation for the time I have been given. But time on the bike is time away from family. For a long time I had the extremely arrogant notion that my family never 'got' what I saw in cycling. I couldn't have been more wrong. They get it! I'm so blessed that they do.

I know all too well that there are no guarantees in life. I'll keep their faith by continuing the privileged ride across to top tube. 

To that end, I have chosen a path in 2012 that will help me realize a life-long dream. With the realization that dreams can come true with a sound workable plan, my family (with the endorsement of my doctors) are backing my ambitious goal to attempt a long distance cycling odyssey. Training is already underway. Route planning and trip preparations are in progress. Unfortunately, the undertaking means a departure from working as a wrench at The Outdoorsman in Butte, Montana where I have worked for the past three summers. A special thank you to my dear friend, Rob Leipheimer, owner of the Outdoorsman in Butte, Montana for his understanding why I have to terminate my summer wrenching duties to pursue this compelling journey.

I'll be 64 years old on February 22 of 2012, so I must fore go working at a place that I love to reach for the brass ring. I can't let this opportunity pass me by as it may never come my way again. Destiny is knocking at the door, and I am going to answer the call.


The journey, an approximate 3,755 mile trek by bike from Butte, Montana to Anchorage, Alaska (and back) along the Rocky Mountains traversing Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon in Canada. The route through Montana to Banff roughly follows the Tour Divide. The journey starts in mid-June 2012. So, I'll be available to help out at the shop during the first week of the Tour Divide GDMBR. Our plan is to ride to Anchorage, on to Denali NP, and then most of the way back by another route to Prince George, BC. From Prince George we'll motor back to Montana by the end of August. I'll be accompanied by four other intrepid ultra distance riders.  It's a compelling call across the top tube. Gotta try it.....





Just got delivery of my custom made Fuel Cell for the 29er. It was made by 2011 Tour Divide racer, 
Rob Roberts from California. Road Trip Ready! 


2 comments:

  1. I like the personal life goals the ride has for you. Inspirational. You may be interested in my book manuscript (also inspirational) about my accident and recovery, and my biking background. Bob and Bert are mentioned frequently in it. If you send me your e-mail, I can attach the docs. kcmerc@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete