Friday, February 3, 2012

"What's on Your Mind"?

"What's on your mind?" It's what I see every time I open FaceBook on my iPhone to post something that I feel is important for me to share.


I have a dear friend who is struggling with the emotional fallout after being struck and nearly killed by a hit and run driver while out riding one early morning. It struck me as I was replying to this friend's message that we all are faced, at some point in time, with life changing events that leave us scrambling to make sense of it all. Here's what I wrote back to my friend to help calm the despair I sensed in the message I received this morning.

"You have so much to be thankful for. Look into the light and embrace its warmth because the sunrise means you have the joy of another day. That's what gives me drive and determination each day since my heart attack. My focus on the beginning of each new day gives me peace and allows me to get past what could have been. Of course, the best medicine is that time across the top tube that allows the committee in my head to take on the challenges and issues of the day. That simple set of triangles connected to two wheels is my gateway to the internal peace and calmness on the road of life."

Whether you run, swim, hike, ski, or rock climb,  cycling IS my chosen metaphor for life and living. It, along with the continued love and support of family and friends, smooths any rough spots in the roads I choose to ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment