Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hours Across the Top Tube=Harmony in the Head

It's been awhile since I last posted. There's just has not been the time to jot down my thoughts with all the hours I've been putting into family related stuff lately and working at the bike shop here in Butte. Anyway, life across the top tube continues to be an adventure. And, the committee in my head so likes the opportunities to get lost in thought spinning down the road or cruising through the forest. I had my very first Saturday off from the bike shop since coming to Montana in late May, and I took advantage of it by doing a fundraiser ride for the Tram to Our Lady of the Rockies.


Here's a short video of our ride in Butte, Montana on September 11th. My riding companion that day was Yvonne Leipheimer, mother of Rob and Levi Leipheimer. Her son Rob is my good friend and the owner of the Outdoorsman Professional Sports Shop where I work during the summers as his mechanic.


The very next day I wanted to do a really long mountain bike ride along the Continental Divide Trail, but as things go family stuff gave me a later start in the day than planned. Still, I managed to do a 23 miler. I had planned to ride up to the Homestake Pass CDT trail head and ride southwesterly to Pipestone Pass, but it became quickly apparent that I wasn't going to have enough daylight to do it. I didn't have lights if I got caught out after sunset. So, I went about 5-6 miles up the trail toward Beaver Ponds and turned around to enjoy the downhill back to Homestake Trail Head. I shot video of the ride and out of nearly three hours of recording put together this short piece.


The wife and I only have 10 days left in Montana before we return to Las Vegas for the winter and to be close to other family. The granddaughters are fully engaged in the new school year, as are their parents, so it's time for us to say goodbye to Butte for another year. I will return to Butte in late March for a couple of weeks to help run the Outdoorsman while Rob is off in France on an epic skiing trip along the Haute Route. The Haute Route (or The High Route or Mountaineer's Route) is the name given to a ski touring route between Chamonix, France and Zermatt, Switzerland. 

The wife and I will return to Montana sometime at the end of May, 2011.

But, before I pack up the bikes on the Thule and head south I plan to do as much riding as time and weather will permit. I haven't even left Montana yet, and I'm already beginning to go through withdrawal. I love Montana and being close to family here. Just wish all our kids and grand kids lived here. At least Interstate 15 connects us with each other. Life across the top tube in both places leaves me fulfilled and satisfied. Can't ask more than that!





No comments:

Post a Comment