Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions.... or How to Lie Convincingly to Yourself

I never have been too keen about making New Year's resolutions for one important reason...they require conviction and perseverance to see them through. And the routine daily obligations and stresses of career and family make a person easily fall back onto a path of least persistence for the sake of survival.  Oh, believe me I've tried! The road to success has always been paved with the best of intentions. But, it's my belief that this year will be different! I seem more motivated, and I have already begun to make changes to effect the outcome. The committee in my head has held extensive introspective meetings to sort things out and formulate a workable game plan. I believe they have set a good course for me for the new year. They planned the work, now it's my time and responsibility to work the plan.

What's the motivation, the driving force, that will sustain my effort?

First, the support of my family.

Second, in 53 days I celebrate my 63rd birthday. That's 23,013 days of living! In that time I've lived in Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Texas, Nevada, and Montana. I've gone to college and graduate school, been married 41 years to the love of my life, had two children who I admire and adore, and now have three of the most precious grandchildren a man could ever dream for. All in all, a very fulfilling life. One I wish to continue as long as I am privileged.

Third, in my nearly 63 years of living  I have:
  • delivered newspapers
  • picked tobacco (which is why I've never smoked)
  • worked in a steel mill and in heavy construction
  • dug ditches for a pipeline company
  • loaded trucks at a freight company
  • worked at a mental health facility
  • did intake casework and counseling at a federal prison
  • been a Clinical and School Psychologist for a Texas State Education Agency
  • worked at a Texas university writing a textbook
  • served as a School Psychologist for several Texas school districts
  • been a self-employed professional photographer
  • taught Elementary School in 2nd, 4th, and 5th grade
  • been Science Department Chair and taught 8th grade Middle School Science
  • served as the Environmental Education Coordinator for a large Texas school district
  • been the Director of an Outdoor Environmental Ed Program and Outdoor Learning Center
  • served as High School Chemistry Department Chair and taught High School Honors Chemistry
  • been working as a professional bicycle mechanic at several bike shops since retirement in 2004.
I mention my work background for no other reason than to illustrate that I'm no stranger to hard work, that I value education and the intellectual enterprise, and that I love the energizing nature of change to keep life interesting and stimulating.

Third, two near death experiences, one a pulmonary embolism in 2008, the other a major heart attack in 2009, have finally convinced me I am NOT bullet proof and invisible. As a matter of fact, I've come to the tacitly clear conclusion that I never was of super hero stock, even though my youthful delusions told me so. I know this now. And, very recently after undergoing the most comprehensive medical checkup in the last decade, have learned that I have an insidious metabolic syndrome that makes my body cells insulin resistant which makes me a prime candidate for Type 2 Diabetes. Finally, I have a meaningful understanding why I have had long standing problems with my weight, and why I've been on the brink twice. Can't afford to test the "third time's a charm" theory.

Not making some significant changes in the way I've done things in the past will doom me for sure in the future..if I am granted a future. So, the plan includes moderate exercise, diabetes medication, and a vegan diet.

I know there have never been, nor will there ever be, any guarantees in life. You take one day at a time, put one foot in front of the other, deal with whatever life throws your way, and hope to see the sunrise the next day.

In any event, I'll go ahead and work the plan my doctor and the committee in my head have devised. I have nothing to lose and potentially more time with my wife, my kids, and my grandchildren to gain. And you know the best part...it involves more time across the top tube. Booyah!




No comments:

Post a Comment